Saturday 5th Of November
Workshop with Johnny (@talldarkandhanstand)
Join us for this fun workshop featuring handstand and upside down fundamentals with a funky Vinyasana flow component. Bookings are essential!
As I’m embarking on the 12th year of my studio, I have to say it’s not always been easy. Small business ventures are hard!!!! In every sector of our community.
SPECIAL PRANA WHEEL WORKSHOP
11:00am – 1:00pm – Saturday 24th September
$45 (pre-booked) or $55 on the day
The Prana wheel is designed to cultivate flexibility in the spine and open the heart. Prana Wheel workshops are designed for you to expirience the benefits that come with regular use of a Prana wheel. You will explore different ways to improve flexibility, strengthen and deepen your backbends plus we embrace a huge element of play into our two hour workshop. The instructor will take you through step by step how to effectively and safely use the Prana Wheel. Whether you decide you want your own Prana Wheel or not, there is huge benefit in joining in a workshop. Everyone is welcome our Prana wheel workshops are suitable for the complete newbie to yoga to the experienced yogi. Plus they are super fun and you will be left feeling fantastic!
Change is overwhelming.
Change is inevitable.
Change is movement.
Change is necessary.
My year so far has been a year of constant change, on every single level of my life and at times I have been left feeling crushed, exhausted, exhilirated, surprised, scared and excited.
Why can’t change happen in an orderly fashion? Why does the Universe not ask me: Hey Eleni, are you ready for change number one? How long will it take you to adapt to this change? What and how will you support this shift?
Then once you have adapted to that change, number two, it’s your turn now!
But nooooooo. It’s BOOM!! A roller coaster where the ride ends briefly for an inhalation and then BOOM, the time has expired and off you go again.
Change in our personal lives is a test. If we are not moving forward to continue our growth and discovery path, we may get lucky and get a big shove to GO! GO! GO!
I feel after the last six months of 2016 that change is growth – growth to a deeper level of consciousness. Change is inevitable as time shifts, as our discovery paths unfold, through our creative soul of discovery and daily searching.
My adaptation to all the craziness of the last few months has been my holistic lifestyle and the beautiful support of the people around me. My yoga practise, stillness on the mat, my morning meditation, my breathing exercises. Regardless of workload, my connection to nature, some silence and supplementing internally with remedies from my homeopathic dispenser. This year I have allowed myself to ask for help and accept assistance when people offer. That has been a massive change for me because I have always been too proud or pushing myself to get everything done. I have also had support from other health professionals with massage, cupping, acupuncture and visiting my own homeopath.
Has it been all smooth sailing? No! My eczema flared up which built up in consistency and growth to parts of my body that I never thought possible. Stress grows in the body then spills out, and that’s the picture of my eczema. I’ve also been too psyched up to sleep, but I do my little rituals and i usually fall asleep by 1am.
Since moving studios, I have been talking a lot about change and really looking forward to writing this blog topic. Because guess what?
YOGA = CHANGE
I have been practising yoga for 15 years (which in a yoga lifetime, means I’m still in primary school. When I started yoga, I did not fall in love with it instantly. I just persevered and competed internally with the yogis in my class (EGO!!!!) After two years that changed. I use to practise religiously at 6am every day – this has changed to one or two sessions a week which will suffice. If I did not do a vigorous practise then I felt incomplete and deflated and I spent too much time worrying what my body looked like, and kept pushing to change it (although my hips and hamstrings eventually became more flexible!!!)
Yoga changes so many factors which reflect on daily with my students and clients: energy levels, seasonal changes, injuries, our mindset, disease, our adaptation, spiritual connection, motivation, passion, age, spiritual connection.
Last year I incurred a shoulder tear after a crazy incident with my dog, which changed what I could and could not to do in yoga. This year it was my right knee. But yoga is change so we try new postures and we fall in and out of love with aspects of our practise. Learning new things about ourselves on the mat: THAT is change. I’m sure that I’m not the same yogi now as I was 15 years ago or that I will be in five years from now.
And all this change, i will continue to welcome while i take a holiday – a change of routine and experiences. I’ll keep you posted. See you in class for our shifts of change and deep manifestations of self love, care and growth.
Adho Mukha Svanasana – otherwise known as Downward Facing Dog.
As a summer lover – (regardless of my painful experience getting bitten by a blue bottle this weekend while swimming. This blue bottle had such power, it made my arm burn and double in pain for 24 hours. I loved the ambulance staff that attended to me. So helpful and reassuring. Deep gratitude) – I feel that yoga and meditation should be taught and practiced outdoors as often as possible, not just on random weekends, retreats or holidays.
I love yoga due to the freedom of movement and the beautiful relationship that it has with mother Earth. When I teach, I try to describe the postures from the fundamentals of nature’s creations: Earth, Sky, Sun, Moon, Animals and Plants.
That’s why I love standing postures so much. I stand and watch from above. I stand and feel as one. I breathe with deep consciousness of the Life Force to soothe, restore, calm and relax me. Breathing and meditation is most effective outdoors, especially by the beach (my ultimate passion) or amongst trees and plants.
It’s our human calling to practice yoga and meditation outdoors, to feel the prana, to step on the earth without shoes, to sit and move without the limits of walls. Yoga and movement outdoors has the ability to filter away our overexposure to chemicals, environmental pollution, internal stress and resentment, over reliance on technology, fatigue and our daily imbalances.
Yoga allows us to improve our sense of self and inner connection which expands to our community and the world.
I started teaching “Yoga at the Beach” nine years ago and I always feel such power watching the water move and the constant evolving change. It has such a magnet-like feeling.
It taught me not too be too hard on myself if my plans did not succeed, especially as a teacher. I can’t count the amount of classes that have been interrupted, changed or cancelled by rain, thunder, strong winds, mosquitoes, ants. We need to flow, like the tides that rise and fall.
My proposal is for more sessions outdoors. My yoga fitness classes have been conducted all throughout Bardwell Park, Marrickville and all its reserves. I would love to get more of us out and about.
Before joining one of my outdoor classes, please checklist the following:
- For walking / running / bushwalking activities, wear reliable, comfortable and appropriate shoes.
- If you’re feeling sick or weak don’t attempt a two-hour session in the great outdoors!!!!
- Bring sunscreen, water, snacks and sometimes a change of clothes.
- Bring an extra bag (biodegradable if possible) to dispose of rubbish as well as cleaning up rubbish when we can. We are using Mother Earth, so we need to give back. A fair exchange I think.
Share an outdoor yoga class with someone you care, love and celebrate.
Thank you and Happy Summer everyone.
Book now for this special session on 31st January!
Join an amazing introductory yoga workshop taught by Kasha Azad for:
- An introduction to fundamental Persian Yoga and Circular Strength Training principles
- An introduction to the use of Meel (Clubs) and Shena (Push-up board)
- A guided group training session
- The option to buy equipment on the day and save on shipping and handling costs ($50 value!)
Introductory Workshop Program – 90 minutes
- Introduction to Persian Yoga & Circular Strength Training
The secret conditioning system of Iranian wrestlers and the physical arts of ancient Persian warriors! A time tested, battle-field proven, integrated approach to multi-skill and multi-planar movement and circular strength training. Developed millenia ago as a complete, yet simple, physical arts conditioning system to forge warriors out of ordinary people.
- Fundamentals of Meel
Meel, the grandfather of the Clubbell and Indian Clubs! The Original and Authentic Persian Meel, made from one piece of timber for exceptional balance, symmetry and swing performance. Used for millenia by ancient warriors and modern martial artists to develop great strength, endurance, mobility, stability and synchronicity of the shoulders.
- Fundamentals of Shena
The essential, and most ancient, calisthenics tool! The Shena is time tested to deliver results like no other similar device. Used by Persian warriors and modern day Olympic gold medal wrestlers. Enables a wider variety of push-ups, improves ROM, strength, flexibility of shoulders and hips for safer push-ups.
The session will be held outdoors, commencing at 8am. Please pre-book and pay by 29th January 2016.
After having been around the block with health, fitness and yoga in a full-time or part-time capacity since the age of 19, I have learned and experienced some beautiful “a-ha” moments and breakthroughs that I have blended into my current lifestyle. As well as some things that left me “ughhhhh” in a disarray.
So I’ve decided to share some of these – because if you know me, you know I share about myself a lot!!
- If any class involving movement does not make you feel good and throughout the session you are thinking “when will it end?” – then it’s not for you.
Don’t waste your time and money. Try something else.
- Don’t be afraid of meditation, you can experience a beautiful peaceful state that focuses on your spirit and mental welfare.
We all need it from the youngest child to the elderly. Don’t feel “ohhhh, I cant meditate”. Yes you can. If you are breathing, you can meditate.
Attend one of my meditation classes or Breathing and Mindfulness Sunday sessions, read a book about exploring meditation, listen to a guided relaxation CD, download a meditation sequence. Just don’t wait!!! Sit with your kids, an elderly parent, a friend, with your dog, cat, baby, plants or on your own. Daily stress and anxiety can build up daily and we need to let it go.
- On the theme of Don’t Wait:
Don’t wait to lose weight to start yoga
Don’t wait to get more flexible
Don’t wait for your friend to come with you
Don’t wait for more $$$ – if there’s ever an issue of finances which may restrict your ability to pay for classes, talk to your teacher so a system can be arranged and you don’t have to miss out on something you love.
- Sport Bras are a must for young girls and women who do high impact exercise. It does not matter about your breast size or if you have had a breast enlargement or reduction. Strap them and care for them well – gravity sucks, sagging sucks, end of story.
- If you have battled with eating disorders or are currently in the realm of one, ask for help. Support is magic. Don’t give up and do not be afraid to ask for help. For me, acknowledgement that I couldn’t continue in that daily living hell (once I passed the denial stage that ohhh yes there is something wrong here) my mums help, yoga and homeopathy were my trifecta.
- Organic , natural food will never go out of fashion and creates the foundation of your daily health and optimum function. And I will tie that in with body therapies. I have loved, persevered with, tried out, discovered or ditched some of the following (some of you could guess which is which): wheatgrass juice, green smoothies, biodynamic, macrobiotic, high protein, no fruit, no fats, no nuts , no oils, auyervedic diet, sprouting, raw, no food (no kidding), gluten free, no additives and numbers, no food sources with plastic packaging (that’s why I have given up on Chlorophyll, used to be in glass has converted to plastic as well as some brands of vinegar have gone plastic, booooo!!!!), vegan, vegetarian, salt therapy rooms, acupuncture, shiatsu, herbs, iridology, colonics, shirodhara, counselling, auyevedic , chinese massage, cupping, infrared therapy, pranayama, crystal meditation, massage, physiotherapy, chiropractic, weight training, yoga, homeopathy, outdoor running, bushwalking, trapeze, silks, pole dancing, pole gymnastics, swimming, SUP, persian yoga, acro yoga, meditation, walking, adult beginner ballet classes, jazz, funk and hip hop, pilates reformer machines, burlesque.
With all health regimes its about enhancing your health, and existing medical and health conditions. With promises of a permanent cure and extreme fat loss or extreme changes to the way you look? All I can say is watch out for fake promises.
My daily need? A bucket full of self-belief and trust, and living without fear.
What is your daily need and support? What have you tried, ditched or keep coming back for more? Drop me a line. I would love to read.
Phone: 0412 772 397